To limit the further spread of coronavirus in Canada, travel restrictions are in place across all border crossings.
Since July 5, 2021, there are exemptions for people who are allowed to enter Canada and who also meet specific conditions for fully vaccinated travellers.
American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in the U.S. and who qualify as fully vaccinated travellers, will be able to enter Canada for discretionary travel starting August 9.
Unless eligible, other foreign nationals can’t enter Canada at this time.
All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result.
There are no exceptions for vaccinated travellers, at this time.
- take the test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada
- provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test
- keep proof of your test results for the 14-day period that begins on the day you enter Canada
If you have a connecting flight, the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada. You may need to schedule the test in your transit city
All travellers are required to provide travel, contact and quarantine information upon and after entry into Canada.
All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air or land, must use ArriveCAN. Travellers will need to submit the following information electronically before they board their flight or before arrival at a land border crossing:
- travel and contact information
- quarantine plan (unless exempted from the mandatory requirement to quarantine set out in the emergency order under the Quarantine Act)
- COVID-19 symptom self-assessment
The day after you arrive in Canada, all travellers, whether you travel by air, land or marine, must use ArriveCAN to:
- confirm that you've arrived at a government-authorized hotel or the address you provided for your quarantine or isolation location
- complete daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessments until the completion of your quarantine period or until you report symptoms
ArriveCAN does not use GPS or other technology on your mobile phone to track your location. It uses only the information provided by the user.
The personal information provided through ArriveCAN is protected according to the Privacy Act. For more information, see the ArriveCAN privacy notice.
Test upon arrival and mandatory hotel stopover
You must take a test before leaving the airport. Following the arrival test, you will need to go directly to your reserved hotel to await test results.
Fully vaccinated travellers who qualify for certain exemptions may be exempt from :
- Hotel stopover
- Day-8 testing requirement
Fully vaccinated travellers are not exempt from :
- Using ArriveCan
- Pre-arrival test
- Arrival test
Mandatory quarantine and Day-8 test
If you’re not fully vaccinated or you do not meet the requirements for vaccinated travellers, you'll need to quarantine for 14 days or possibly longer.
On Day-8 of your mandatory quarantine, follow the instructions to complete your test. You must stay in your place of quarantine while you await the results from this test.
Once you are in Canada, please follow Ontario Public Health measures and restrictions.
For more information, please read the Flying to Canada requirements checklist provided by the government of Canada.