Help newcomers to Canada get their benefits and credits!

As someone working on the frontlines with newcomers to Canada, including refugees, we ask for your help in telling them about the need to file an income tax and benefit return to continue getting benefit and credit payments.

Newcomers could be eligible for payments such as the Canada child benefit (CCB) and the credit for the goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax. These, and related provincial and territorial benefits and credits, help many newcomers and their families as they transition and settle into a new life in Canada. If eligible, families earning less than $30,000 in net annual household income could get up to $6,400 (annual) in CCB payments for each child under six, and $5,400 for each child aged 6-17.

To continue getting benefit and credit payments, individuals have to file a return on time every year, even if they did not earn income. Their spouse or common-law partner must also file a return.

Many newcomers have already filed their returns, but if you know someone who has not yet done so, encourage them to file as soon as possible to continue getting payments in July without interruption. If they need free help with their return, Community Volunteer Income Tax Program clinics are available in various locations across the country.

To find a clinic, please visit this CRA webpage.

We have multilingual (English, French, Arabic) posters that provide more information. For print-ready copies, please contact us at and we will be happy to e-mail them to you.