Staff and volunteers supporting newcomers are invited for a day of learning that will include: informative workshops, networking and information exchange about needs, best practices, moving stories of personal success, and lessons learned.
The resettlement of refugees in Canada requires a comprehensive support system that can provide knowledge and sensitivity to assist with successful integration. The demand for services in York Region may be rising as the Government of Canada continues its commitment to resettle refugees from Syria and as the first wave of newcomers transitions beyond the first year of government and private sponsor supports.
This learning event is intended to help strengthen your ability to deliver effective and appropriate services to Syrian newcomers.
- The diverse demographic and cultural background of Syrian newcomers
- Refugee mental health and providing effective support
- An overview of newcomer resettlement and integration in our community
- The Welcome Centres and the Syrian experience
- Resettlement of Syrian refugees - experiences and lessons learned
Featuring presentations from:
- COSTI Immigrant Services
- Hong Fook Mental Health Association
- The Regional Municipality of York
- Welcome Centre Immigrant Services
The registration fee of $25.00 includes breakfast/refreshments/lunch, parking and Forum materials.
To Register please click here
Date: Tuesday, November 8, 2016
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Location: Edward Village Hotel, 50 Valhalla Dr., Markham.