Lifeline Syria and WelcomeHomeTO are hosting an information session about the lessons learned from the private sponsorship and what to expect when sponsoring a refugee.
This session will focus on the lived experience of both newcomers and sponsors, including the day to day challenges and rewards of the first three months and up to Month 13, when sponsorship commitments end.
Topics to be explored:
- The type of sponsor training/pre-arrival resources available
- Managing expectations and sponsorship ethics
- How to interact with Settlement Sector
- Cultural awareness and building trust
- Matching sponsors/refugees
>This event is for:
- Members of sponsorship groups with lived experience of sponsorship
- Members of agencies and advocacy groups dealing with refugees
- Newcomers to Canada
- Sponsors who wish to take part in a new sponsorship
- Shamim Ahmadi (Founder, Ahmada Development Organization and refugee from Afghanistan)
- Tina Aseffa (Communications Director, Al-Qazzaz Foundation)
- Malaz Sebai (Treasurer, Lifeline Syria)
- Sara Shahsiah (Projects Coordinator, Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants)
- Rania Younes (WHTO Director and Co-Founder)
Date: Thursday June 28th, 2018.
Time: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Location: 18th Floor of 400 University Avenue. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
To register, please clikc here