Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers Level 1
OCASI | Positive Spaces Initiatives are pleased to announce the upcoming self-directed online training on : Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers Level 1
The course is intended for settlement workers to more effectively serve LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual) immigrants, refugees, and newcomers. This four-module training incorporates updated legislative and legal information and emerging issues and trends in LGBTQIA+ communities.
The course will run between May 29th - July 4th, 2023
Upon completion of this four-module course, you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework to support LGBTQIA+ immigrants, refugees, and newcomers
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various barriers and issues surrounding 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals in their access to services
- Situate yourself in the context of systemic oppressions faced by LGBTQIA+ newcomers in order to serve better LGBQIA+ immigrants and refugees living in Ontario by engaging in allyship
- Demonstrate an understanding of your responsibilities as a service provider in the settlement sector by implementing best practices to create and maintain a positive space for LGBTQIA+ newcomers in your agency.
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the immigrant and refugee-serving sector across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning per week
- Practice active participation through the program
- Engage in Positive Spaces Initiative (PSI) Group in www.SettleNet.org, a new national online Community of Practice for the Settlement Sector
- Complete assignments within the given timeframe
At the successful completion of each level, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI
If you have any questions or for more information, please contact Onar Usar at email@example.com