Skip to main content

What programs are there for refugees’ family members to come to Canada?

Resettled refugees (both Government-Assisted and Privately Sponsored) can apply to sponsor immediate family members under the One Year Window opportunity provision. This program is for refugees who have been in Canada for less than a year. They might sponsor a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and children of dependent children, under certain circumstances. Family members identified under this program will be considered as dependents of the principal application, they do not need to have their own refugee status document.

Under the Sponsorship agreement, the sponsor group is also responsible for the costs of supporting family members who have come to Canada through this program. More information is available from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

For information on other sponsorship programs, visit Settlement.Org or the webpage about family sponsorship from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.