Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers Level 1
OCASI | Positive Spaces Initiative (PSI) is pleased to announce the upcoming self-directed online training: Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers Level 1
The course is a free, self-directed, online course with updated information for settlement workers to more effectively serve LGBTQIA+(lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual) immigrants, refugees, and newcomers.
Upon completion of this four-module course, you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework to support LGBTQIA+ immigrants, refugees, and newcomers
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various barriers and issues surrounding 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals in their access to services
- Situate yourself in the context of systemic oppressions faced by LGBTQIA+ newcomers in order to serve better LGBQIA+ immigrants and refugees living in Ontario by engaging in allyship
- Demonstrate an understanding of your responsibilities as a service provider in the settlement sector by implementing best practices to create and maintain a positive space for LGBTQIA+ newcomers in your agency.
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the immigrant and refugee-serving sector across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning per week
- Practice active participation through the program
- Engage in Positive Spaces Initiative (PSI) Group in www.SettleNet.org, a new national online Community of Practice for the Settlement Sector
- Complete assignments within the given timeframe
The course will run between September 11th - October 15th, 2023.
At the successful completion of each level, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI
If you have any questions or for more information, please contact Onar Usar at email@example.com