Professional development training: Serving Youth in Newcomer Communities (SYNC)
OCASI is pleased to launch registration for the upcoming online professional development training program for settlement service providers: Serving Youth in Newcomer Communities (SYNC)
The course will build on essential foundational concepts and take an anti-oppressive, youth-centered, trauma-informed approach to better equip service providers working with newcomer youth populations.
Learning Objectives :
- Learn to unpack their biases and engage in self-reflective practice
- Develop interpersonal and professional skills and knowledge to support diverse communities of newcomer youth
- Critically analyze the various systems that newcomer youth come into contact with that may cause or perpetuate barriers and/or trauma
- Strategize interventions that respond to barriers and empower youth
- Develop programming that centers youth and responds directly to community-identified needs
Criteria for Participation :
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the immigrant and refugee-serving sector across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning per week.
- Engage in SYNC 101 Group in www.SettleNet.org, a new national online Community of Practice for the Settlement Sector.
- Complete assignments within the given timeframe.
Please note this is a 5 Module ONLINE training program. At the successful completion of the entire e-course, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI.
- Course Launch Date: July 1 - Sep 30, 2023
- Location: Online at learnatwork.ca
- Registration deadline: June 25, 2023 (or once registration fills up)
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org