Roundtable: Honouring Black Feminist Leadership in the Gender-Based Violence Sector
This event is co-organized by two national projects at OCASI - Building Leadership Capacity to address GBV against non-status, refugee and immigrant women across Canada and the Alliance for Racialized, Refugee and Im/migrant Women.
In celebration of Black History Month, join us for an online roundtable discussion with Black feminist leaders working to advance the priorities of Black survivors of gender-based violence (GBV), including non-status, refugee and im/migrant women, girls, and gender-diverse people.
- Angela Marie MacDougall - Battered Women's Support Services
- Nneka MacGregor - WomenattheCenter
- Paulette Senior - Canadian Women’s Foundation
Moderated by: Debbie Douglas - OCASI
Key themes include:
- the legacy and leadership of Black Feminists in community-based responses to GBV,
- the importance of collecting data on the experiences of Black survivors,
- the impacts of policing and an over reliance of the legal system,
- intersectional approaches to service provision and advocacy, and
- the importance of funding for a robust GBV sector.
French and ASL interpretation will be available.
All registrants will receive the zoom link and further information 24 hours before the event.