How can I help Afghan Refugees arriving in Canada?
Following the takeover of power by the Taliban in Afghanistan, the Government of Canada made a commitment to welcome up to 40,000 Afghan refugees to Canada through different programs.
Canadian citizens and residents can help Afghan Refugees arriving in Canada in different ways.
Resources to Help Refugees in Ontario
- If you’d like to help refugees arriving in Canada, the Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (CCIS) is coordinating volunteers and donations on behalf of Resettlement Assistance Program service providers who will be welcoming Afghan refugees across Canada.
The CCIS is accepting and distributing financial donations on behalf of the Service Providing Organizations across Canada who are supporting Afghan families’ resettlement. You can direct your donation to a specific organization or region, if you want.
You can also contact them by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for volunteering or in-kind donations (housing, clothing and furniture)
- If you speak Dari or Pashto, you can contact your local settlement agency to find out which agencies in your area are coordinating support.
- Lifeline Afghanistan is a non-partisan network of individuals and organizations responding in different ways to the crisis in Afghanistan
Find a Service Provider Organization
- How can I find settlement services?
- Afghan Women's Organization, which provides settlement services to all newcomers, with a special focus on women, their families, refugees and people who have experienced war and persecution
- Afghan Association of Ontario (AAO), an organization providing settlement, integration and adaptation services to the Afghan community
Resources in Pashto and Dari
Please consult :
You can help Afghan refugees by sponsoring them to come to Canada. There are different ways individuals can sponsor a refugee:
As a Constituent Group or a Group of Five, you can sponsor:
- A specific individual refugee or refugee family
- A refugee referred by a visa office abroad
For More Information:
- Canada’s response to the situation in Afghanistan : information about Canada’s programs for Afghan citizens, especially the special resettlement program.
- The Refugee Sponsorship Training Program provides training and support to Canadian refugee sponsorship groups, Sponsorship Agreement Holders and sponsored refugees.
- What are the different refugee resettlement programs?, an article from Welcome Ontario
- What does the refugee resettlement process look like?, an article from Welcome Ontario