Skip to main content

Should I file a tax return if I'm a resettled refugee?

Refugees who come to Canada through a resettlement program (Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program or Government-Assisted Refugees Program) become permanent residents when they arrive in Canada. Therefore, they have the same rights and duties as any other permanent resident of Canada.

As a permanent resident of Canada, you are responsible for paying taxes.

Once you have filed your first tax return, you may be eligible to receive more tax credits and benefits.

For more information