Are sponsored refugees eligible for Settlement Services?
Yes, all sponsored refugees generally have access to government-funded settlement services upon arrival in Canada, just like other permanent residents.
Some specific programs may have eligibility requirements. You can ask a settlement worker about these requirements.
Some examples of settlement services include:
- language training
- information and orientation services
- job search support
- job training
- information on health care and social services available
- interpretation or translation services
- community activities and social support groups.
Once the sponsorship period ends, sponsored refugees may continue to receive settlement services if they meet the eligibility criteria established by the agencies providing these services.
For more information
- You can read How can I find settlement services? to learn more about settlement services.
- Why should private sponsors contact a settlement agency?, an article from WelcomeOntario.
- How can you prepare for Month 13 (post-sponsorship period)?, an article from WelcomeOntario.
- The Rights of Privately Sponsored Refugees, Fact Sheet, RSTP, 2019, p.4.